Thursday, August 20, 2009

Essential Action: Introduction

I'm pleased to announce that I will be starting a new thread similar to 'Song's of the Day' in which I will feature an essential movie from my favourite film genre: Action. The action movie is a unique genre because, like horror, if done correctly or incorrectly, both could easily result in an equally entertaining movie. The high budget blockbuster action movie has just as much cultural signifigance as the cult classics, if not less. In an effort to maintain consistency in this list of Essential Action, I would like to propose a grading rubric that will be used to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each action flick.

The rubric will contain sections for:
- Protagonist: backstory, intensity, coolness, how much I wish I could be them, etc
- Antagonist: evilness, scheming ability,how much I wish I could be them, etc.
- Conflict: relevance, believability, awesomeness
- Kills & Explosions: quantity, originality, sweetness
- Cast: big bugdet names, comic relief, typecasts

I will not be ranking the films in any specific order because I believe every action movie has something to offer and should all be treated with equal regard. I hope you enjoy the list to come as much as I will enjoy writing it. Action movies deserve the same respect as movies made for Oscar season,

"Those do-gooders are all a bunch a pitiful losers, every last one of them. Want results? You have to go to the Schwarzeneggers, the Stallones, and to a lesser extent, the Van Dammes."
-Bart Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment